Monday, January 31, 2011

RECIPE: Garlic Cooked Slaw

When I was thinking about what to put in my tacos this weekend, I had already decided on a Chinese style pulled pork. Slaw seemed like a natural accompaniment, but it didn't make sense to me to use the typical mayo or even vinegar based slaw. I wanted to complement the Asian theme in flavor. Even using a soy/rice vinegar sauce still didn't seem right. I began to recall this simple dish my mom makes at home which involves shredding cabbage and carrots and sauteing it with garlic, much like the way we prepare many vegetables. I took this as a launching point for experimentation.

The closest thing I can compare this to is perhaps moo shu pork? In the Western tradition, I've observed that cabbage is often either braised or left raw for slaws. I like this in-between compromise where you've still got some of that raw flavor and some crunch, but also some yield and tenderness. Think Venn diagram comparing cabbage and brussel sprouts.

  • 1/4 head of cabbage, finely shredded
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp soy
  • 1 tsp dry sherry
  • salt and pepper to taste

Combine the soy and dry sherry and set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil on high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic. As soon as this becomes aromatic, add the cabbage and continuously toss for about five minutes or until they've passed the wilting point and become slightly translucent, but not completely limp. Take off of heat and immediately drizzle the soy/sherry mixture over the cabbage, deglazing the bottom of the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment