Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Madhur Jaffrey's Spicy Indian Chicken

I loved this dish so much that I'm going to actually share a recipe! I don't normally cook Indian food at home because I don't like handling so many spices and oil over a stove, especially turmeric, but this one cooks in the oven. It's fast, and it's incredibly easy.


So much thanks to my friend Stephen for sharing. Here's the recipe as I have adapted it for my pantry. I would use more freshly ground spices if I had a grinder. Working on it!

  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp smoked hot paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp ground turmeric
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • juice of one very large juicy lemon
  • 4 leg-thigh pieces of chicken, skinned and cut apart
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil

Combine cumin, paprika, cayenne, turmeric, pepper, salt, garlic and lemon juice and mix into a paste. Rub the paste all over the chicken pieces until they're well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for several hours (I did this late at night and waited until the next day around lunchtime to cook).

Let the chicken temper for about half an hour before cooking.

Preheat the oven to 400degF. Place the chicken pieces on a baking dish and brush with the oil. Bake for 20 minutes, turn the pieces over and bake for about 20 minutes more or until done. Transfer to a serving platter and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving with rice pilaf.

If you want to save all the tasty bits in the baking dish, add a little water and stir over high heat on the stove until the sauce comes together and is a bit reduced. If the dish isn't stove safe (like glass), add the water and place back in the oven, stirring occasionally until you reach the desired consistency of a sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this chicken dish looks absolutely amazing~! I love the texture and the color of this chicken recipe. This is truly one of the must-try and must-shared Indian recipes out there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete