Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Claypot" Rice With Chicken, Chinese Sausage, Shitakes

I don't have a Chinese clay pot, but I so wanted one when I saw this recipe on 3 Hungry Tummies. I went ahead and made it without the pot, anyway, using a medium saucepan.



After some online research and consideration of what's currently in my pantry, I made some slight modifications. The common denominators in most recipes seem to be the clay pot, the rice and the sausage. Most everything else seems to be fair game.

I didn't use chiles. I also don't have salted fish, so I made do without that. For the egg, instead of mixing it into the rice at the end, I fried it separately and served it on top. I added shitakes and served it with some Chinese mustard greens. The specific sausage I used was a Taiwanese style sausage, which is shorter, thicker, a little sweeter and more fragrant. All smiles.

Marinating the Chicken

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2" pieces
  • 1 Chinese sausage, sliced
  • 2 dried shitakes, hydrated and sliced
  • 2 scallions, cut into 2" pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger (Microplane recommended)
  • 1 tbsp soy
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp rice wine
  • 1 tsp corn starch

If the shitakes are not yet hydrated, begin to hydrate them first. Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl and let marinate for an hour. Add the shitakes when they are hydrated. It'll be fine.

Preparing the Rice

  • 1 cup rice (I used short grain sushi grade rice)
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp light soy
  • 1 tbsp dark mushroom soy (careful with this!)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
  • 2 fried eggs

Start with only the rice and water in a medium saucepan, or more properly, a Chinese clay pot. Bring to a boil and then add the marinated chicken mixture to the top. Don't mix. Cover and let simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.

Mix the soy, dark soy, sugar and sesame oil. Drizzle evenly over the cooked rice and chicken. Again, don't stir. Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes on low heat, making sure the rice is cooked through.

Remove from heat, add chopped scallions and stir to combine. Serve topped with a fried egg. Serves 2.

Great with unsweetened hot tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment